Typical tasks for electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services can include installing new electrical wiring in a new home or office construction, outdoor work such as trenching and running service extensions, industrial wiring or building systems design, minor upgrade, extension, or repair tasks, after-market installations of devices like backup power supplies or emergency generators, circuit design, and much more.
Those electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services companies typically employ skilled electricians or electrical contractors, who have undergone both formal education and apprenticeship training to become electrical experts in their field. They must be licensed and, in many cases, certified and bonded by the local jurisdiction(s) and professional societies in their area.
In this article, we’ll look at the similarities and differences between electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services and discuss the typical tasks that these companies undertake in the residential, commercial, and industrial sectors. Lastly, we’ll provide a few pointers on how to select the best electrical installation services or electrical maintenance services for a given task.
ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION SERVICES AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES – SIMILARITIES AND DIFFERENCES
When it comes to electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services, company and category naming can be tricky. Often, these two terms can be used interchangeably, as most of the electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services skills and offerings overlap. However, in some cases, they are two distinct types of business entities, so it is worth spending a little time getting to the heart of this matter.
In the strictest sense, electrical installation services are concerned with the design and installation of wiring, circuits, or electrical devices, either as part of an upgrade/extension or at the initial home/office construction phase. While that may be the definition of the term, most electrical installation service companies who work in this field do not define themselves by labels, but rather the electrical services that they offer. By contrast, electrical maintenance services would generally be defined as repair and upkeep of wiring and electrical devices, rather than design and installation. Again, very few electrical services companies out there today define themselves specifically as one or the other type of company.
Therefore, in most cases, electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services are interchangeable terms and usually be one-in-the-same. Many companies will simply refer to themselves as something like “Electrical Services” or “Electrician Services” companies. Important, as always, is to check on the capabilities and specialties of any given company before hiring them for a job, to make sure it is something that they are experienced in and capable of completing.
ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION SERVICES AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES – TYPICAL RESIDENTIAL TASKS
The domestic tasks that electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services companies might typically deal with include:
- New home construction – electrical circuit design, wiring, service drops/interface with the electric utility company, home automation and A/V systems installation, and more.
- Diagnosis and repair of electrical problems with home circuits or wiring.
- Diagnosis and repair of electrical problems with home appliances and other electrical equipment.
- Installation of replacement or upgrade equipment in the home that is electrically-driven (i.e., electric appliances, electrical water heater/HVAC, etc.).
- Installation of electrical solar panels, solar battery systems, and integration into the electrical grid.
- Repairing and replacing home electrical wiring or electrical devices damaged by short circuits, lightning strikes, or other adverse events.
- Home upgrades, expansions, or remodels, and associated electrical wiring, circuit breaker, and power planning and implementation tasks.
Of course, that is only a brief overview of the kinds of domestic tasks that electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services might undertake. In general, any job that requires interaction with electrical wiring (beyond plugging something into an outlet) often requires an electrical service company’s expertise for maximum safety. As always, consumers are encouraged to check with a given electrical installation services or electrical maintenance services company to ensure their knowledge and capabilities before hiring them for a job.
ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION SERVICES AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES – TYPICAL COMMERCIAL TASKS
In the commercial realm, there is a lot of varied tasks that electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services may be hired to complete. These can include:
- New construction wiring of electrical systems, electrical circuits, HVAC, building automation, A/V systems, and similar.
- Planning office remodels, additions, extensions, or other upgrades.
- Installing or maintaining various electrical appliances and equipment that are electrically powered.
- Running trenches or conduit for outside power, signs, lighting, and other features (especially common for retail and restaurant customers).
- Determining the electrical baseload needs for high-draw businesses (such as the power requirements for significant refrigeration in foodservice companies, server farms for IT customers, etc.).
- Interfacing with local electric utilities for service drops, service upgrades, transformer requirements, backup generation capabilities, and more.
ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION SERVICES AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES – TYPICAL INDUSTRIAL TASKS
The industrial sector offers many challenging and specialized tasks for electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services. Some electrical installation services and electrical maintenance service companies may only work in this area, owing to the significant differences in scale, machinery/equipment, and standards involved between something like a factory or warehouse, and the much less demanding realm of a residential home. Typical industrial tasks can include:
- New factory or warehouse construction, wiring, planning for assembly lines or other large-scale electrical needs.
- Determining power requirements for production equipment, refrigeration, electronics, appliances, and other equipment that might be used in an industrial setting.
- Developing realistic backup power supply plans, including multiple circuit services and backup generators, for mission-critical or minimal-downtime operations.
- Troubleshooting equipment or electrical system problems.
- Working on remodels, factory line changes, facility upgrades or expansions, or similar tasks that require moving, rewiring, re-designing circuits, or related electrical activities.
- Building HVAC, A/V, and other systems design and integration, in concert with specialists in those fields.
- General repairs, troubleshooting, testing of electrical equipment and wiring associated with a facility.
ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION SERVICES AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES – CHOOSING THE RIGHT COMPANY
When selecting an electrical installation services or electrical maintenance services company for a job, it is essential to consider several criteria to optimize the result. Of course, the capabilities and experience of an electrical installation and maintenance contractor or firm are essential to whether they would be well-suited to a specific job. Also, their licenses and past work can be indicative of their excellence. Additionally, their equipment and training to complete a given task can be very important – though it is not always something consumers can research or find out more about before committing to an electrical installation and maintenance company.
Another important indicator of the quality and dependability of electrical installation services or electrical maintenance services company can be consumer reviews. In this digital age, reviews for this kind of companies can be found on websites and give consumers feedback from others who have worked with a company in the past.
Other factors to consider when choosing an electrical installation services or electrical maintenance services company include safety, professionalism, and overall customer service and support. These factors can provide a general sense of how well the company conducts its business, and whether they are reputable, responsive, and customer-focused.
Last but certainly not least, price and schedule are significant factors in choosing any service company, and electrical installation services or electrical maintenance services companies are no exception. Consumers need to balance the costs and time for a given project and best if you can get multiple quotes from competing electrical services companies if possible. That way, if one bid is unusually low or fast, or on the other end high or slow, consumers will have a baseline of information to know if these are real discounts/overcharges, or red flags from which they should steer clear.
ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION SERVICES AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE SERVICES - CONCLUSIONS
In conclusion, electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services perform a wide variety of tasks for residential, commercial, and industrial customers. They may be specialized in one of those sectors, or work in all three simultaneously. In general, if a task involves working with electricity, electrical wiring, and circuits, the skilled professionals from electrical installation services and electrical maintenance services companies are ideally suited to ensure safe, quality outcomes.